Explore Life at LINE
- What is LINE STYLE? LINE is … “A place where people who dream the same dream and realize that dream together.” The dream goal at LINE is to create No. 1 services, loved by users around the world, and to realize LINE’s mission of “CLOSING THE DISTANCE.” With that No. 1 goal in mind, LINE is the place where we work together as a team to achieve great things.In order to realize the mission of “CLOSING THE DISTANCE,” LINE always tries to understand consumers’ constantly changing needs, challenge ourselves and look at the bigger picture. Although LINE started as a search service, it drastically changed directions to become a messenger app due to the support we got from our users. And from that messenger app, we have grown into so many other fields, like gaming, fintech and AI. WOW=NO. 1 The value that LINE considers to be most important can be summed up in a single word: “WOW.” “WOW” is that “amazing first experience and impression that people want to share with friends.” No. 1 services that lead the market and that change paradigms always have “WOW.” The two ideas are inextricably linked: Pursuing Wow creates No. 1 services, and aiming to become a No. 1 services means creating WOW. Therefore, LINERs always need to ask ourselves this question, “Is this WOW?” This isn't just about products or services. It is a value that all LINERs must adhere to regardless of the organization they belong to or the job they are in charge of. LINE STYLE, LINE's DNA! LINE STYLE refers to LINE’s unique way of acting and thinking, and is the actualization of “WOW=No.1.” It is like LINE's DNA. Just like a species’ DNA isn’t created overnight, a company's own way of working and thinking evolves over time, too. And LINERs are the people who comprise LINE's genes, that is, LINE STYLE. The word LINER, which you can see all over the BLOGs on the LINE recruitment page, implies the meaning of individuals who make LINE's worldview. The story of LINE STYLE’s creation In January 2017, the first LINE STYLE (1.0) was created, consisting of six keywords: NEEDS, SPEED, DETAIL, DATA, TEAMWORK, and ENJOY. In fact, the ideas behind LINE STYLE had always existed at LINE since the company’s birth, but this was the first time we fully explained those ideas and came up with a common language to talk about them. People who had been working at LINE for a long time already knew those values from their experience, so they didn't need to have them explained. However, as of 2018, the total number of LINERs globally had grown to more than 7,000, with more than half of them joining LINE in the third and fourth year following the company’s establishment. So, for those newer LINERs, we needed to narrow the gap between them and those who had been at LINE since the beginning. In order to make it clear to everyone what kind of work style we are pursuing and to deliver it to the next generation of LINERs, we had to organize that knowledge in writing. This meant not creating something new, but a prioritization of what we have always talked about. Through this approach, we believe that LINE's unique corporate management and working methods will be maintained and will continue to develop!Reflecting the feedback we heard about LINE STYLE 1.0 — that the six keywords were somewhat abstract — each keyword was explained in more detail in LINE STYLE 2.0, which came out in October 2018. LINE STYLE 2.0 also demonstrated the changes in the internal and external environments that had occurred between the two versions, and the changes that LINE required in response. LINE STYLE will continue to be updated in the future as needed. LINE STYLE keywords There are a total of 11 LINE STYLE keywords and key concepts. Shall we take a look at them together? Users RuleIt’s not about us. It’s about them. Our entire business is built on understanding our users. To create WOWs, it is most vital to truly understand user needs. You must think from the users' perspective when making critical decisions and make their needs your prime criteria because users are the judges who ultimately determine success.But uncovering our users’ needs is a more difficult challenge than you may realize. Their needs can change from moment to moment. Often users don’t even know what their needs are, so discovering them requires an obsessive, almost fanatical, level of analysis. You need to keep an eye on their every action, no matter how slight, to uncover those hidden needs, constantly checking and re-checking, using every quantitative and qualitative method. Stay a Step AheadA swift beta rollout is better than a perfect one that comes too late However perfect, a service won’t draw attention from users if it misses the timing. The competition LINE is taking part in is a speed battle in a volatile environment. To be the best, a service must offer an amazing and unprecedented experience—with an emphasis on “unprecedented.”But unprecedented means more than just being first. What matters is being the first to be recognized by users. Plans can never be perfect, so you have to take risks, put them to the test right away, and then revise them constantly. Perfect Details‘Good’ is never good enough What makes the difference are the details. Detail is what differentiates a top service from the also-rans—because when we talk about details, what we’re really talking about is meticulousness.Those details emerge only after we repeatedly and painstakingly ask “Is there anything we can do to make this better?” “Is there any way to make this a little more perfect?” That attention to detail forces us to tweak and make endless tiny adjustments, gradually improving our services and taking them to a higher, more outstanding level. Always Data-drivenFollow the data, not your feelings Numbers don't lie. However, our feelings are much less trustworthy. Especially after putting a lot of hard work into a project, all of us have the tendency to see what we want to see. It’s tough to stay objective.Are users embracing a service as we expected? If not, why not? How do we fix the problems that are holding a service back? The solutions are in the data. You should always make decisions based on the numbers, especially in new markets. Fierce disagreements and fiery discussions are fine, but always look to the data for evaluating your opinions and choosing outcomes. Build Lean and Exceptional TeamsLeading services are made by agile, elite teams, not sprawling bureaucracies Making a team twice as large doesn't mean it can accomplish twice as much. In fact, it can often result in slowing down the team’s working speed. Leading services are often created by elite, compact teams, not sprawling bureaucracies. A soccer team with 100 good-enough players will lose to a team that has 11 elite players.As a company grows, its operations should be like a hundred lean start-ups working together, rather than like a bloated conglomerate. No one can compete with the giant global conglomerates based on size alone. Our advantage must be in the quality and efficiency of our workers. Always focus on organizing small, elite teams and strengthen them. Better, not bigger. Open Communication, Vertical Decision-makingTeams need to discuss things openly, but follow the leader’s decisions Everyone, including leaders, can make a wrong judgment. And no one is an expert in every field. The odds of finding success increase when you can have passionate, frank discussions, and everyone in the team feels empowered to add their voice when necessary.However, after going through the discussion process, only one direction can be chosen. The leader is the one who makes the choice and is responsible for the results. To successfully achieve that goal, a team’s members need to trust in the leader's judgment and work together toward putting the decision into practice. Keep in Sync, Aiming for the Same GoalThe end point can change, but the team always stays together When working towards a goal, a team has to concentrate its energy on going in the same direction. Otherwise, you’ll never get where you’re going. Every member should clearly understand the objective of the project, and if the needs of users shift then the team members also need to understand exactly how that changes their goals. It is the leader’s job to communicate those goals clearly and make sure everyone understands any changes. Team leaders and team members have to keep moving together, constantly sharing feedback and always aiming at the same target. Work Intensely and Be FocusedYou’re in trouble if you’re just ‘working hard’ Working a long time doesn't guarantee results. You are in trouble if you are just “working hard.” When you work hard, you get caught up doing whatever is right in front of you and never think about why you do what you do. To be the best LINER, you have to use your time in a smarter and more focused way. It is better to spend an hour working really intensely than 5 or 6 hours just kind-of-hard. You should also always be aware of the fundamentals underlying your work: What you are doing, for whom and why. 1% Problem-finding, 99% Solution-makingDon’t ask ‘What’s wrong?’ Ask ‘How do we make it right?’ Thinking critically can be an important part of creating a product or service, but don’t spend too much time fixated on what’s wrong—just 1% of your energy. Instead, put the other 99% into figuring out how to make it work. Anyone can find obstacles and potential problems, but at LINE we want people to concentrate their energy on discovering new things and generating new solutions that nobody has thought of before. Go Brave. No Fear. No RegretsIf you want to hit a home run, you’ve got to swing for the fences In baseball, a home-run king also tends to be a strikeout king because hitting home runs requires taking full, hard swings, which increases the risk of strikes. You cannot hit a homer from a bunt.The same is true for creating new services. If you have identified a feasible project with a sizeable potential market, you should take a serious swing at it, without being afraid of failure. And when someone else’s bold play turns out to be a failure, you shouldn’t criticize them. Instead analyze what happened and figure out the key lessons you can share, to prevent others from repeating the same mistakes. Learning from failure is the first step toward creating a success. Enjoy the ChallengesIf your heart is beating fast, then you’ve taken on a true challenge The history of LINE is the history of achievement and growth made through boldly taking on all challenges and failing without regret. This process is not enjoyable for everyone. Sometimes it can be so exhausting that you just want to walk away. But the harder the challenge, the greater the sense of achievement when you overcome it. It's exciting to know that, after so much effort and many trials and errors, our services can bring a sense of WOW to the world and make life easier and more enjoyable for millions of people everywhere.But that kind of heart-pounding experience is only available to those who enjoy wrestling with big challenges and who don’t give up in the middle. If you like being the first person to leave footsteps in the fresh white snow and are proud of leading a difficult challenge to success, you'll be able to enjoy your journey no matter how hard it is. And that's a great way to build a WOW service. LINE STYLE in LINERs’ everyday lives With the initial release of LINE STYLE in January 2017, the LINE STYLE keywords could found at every moment of LINERs’ lives. They aren’t just words, but concepts you encounter constantly throughout your everyday work. LINERs see LINE STYLE in the onboarding programs that new LINERS receive, in the in-house communication programs and events, the employee evaluation system, and the Global WOW Project Awards, where employees determine which projects created the most WOW each year! LINE STYLE is with you every moment from when you start and as you grow as a LINER. In addition, after the update to LINE STYLE 2.0, we began sharing the LINERs’ way of work by applying them to various products so that it can be easily accessed anytime, anywhere. In particular, a guidebook was created so that LINERs can understand LINE STYLE in more detail and in three dimensions. We also distributed WOW and keyword stickers that can be attached to visible places so that everyone can be reminded of the LINE STYLE keywords throughout the day. In addition, LINERs are able to see the keywords throughout their office space, on desktop wallpapers, screen savers and digital posters. *See LINE STYLE BOOK LINE STYLE BOOK and soft and fluffy stickers LINE STYLE stickers for laptops, calendars and diaries Desktop wallpapers and screen savers on LINERs’ PCs while they are away We are looking for people who are ready to challenge themselves to make their dreams according to LINE STYLE. LINE STYLE is not just a word, but a way of thought and a system of values we use for making our choices and judgments, and the foundation for every moment of our work as LINERs. Those who want to hear users around the world say “WOW” work according to LINE STYLE. Those who dream of creating No.1 services and want to do so together with outstanding colleagues.Above all, those who think “LINE STYLE sounds like my style,” do not hesitate, but challenge yourself now! Go to LINE Careers *See LINE STYLE BOOK
- Build Better Habits With Other LINERs Through 'The 30-Day Challenge' Getting up early every day, reading two books a month, exercising and losing weight — we've all committed to ambitious goals only to lose focus after a few days. That's why at LINE, we've created a program to help LINERs keep to their resolutions, so they don't give up after just a few days. "The 30-Day Challenge” is a monthly program where LINERs encourage each other to stick with their plans to better themselves — for 30 days at a time. The 30-Day Challenge process1) A regular survey asks LINERs what good habits or improvements they want to make in their lives, then recruits leaders2) LINERs sign up for the improvement area of their choice (lasting for an entire month).3) Members in each group join a LINE group chat.4) Over 30 days, members of each group encourage and remind each other by uploading a photo of themselves each day working on developing that good habit.(No one format is required. Any photo is fine. And just typing #done is enough to count each day.)# The 30-Day Bot is an automatic participation recording system, voluntarily made by one of the leaders for other leaders (a symbol of the skills of LINE's developers) # A Small deposit system is used to encourage everyone to kee to their 30-day ChallengeA deposit is collected at the beginning of each month and is returned to each person after successfully participating for 30 days. The amount collected from the days missed is donated to an organization chosen by the members under the name of the group Together rather than alone! The rise of 30-Day in the remote work era Because of the COVID-19 pandemic, LINE already introduced many changes to the office and work system, including extensive use of work-from-home (link). But as COVID-19 continued, many LINERs said they were beginning to feel lonely, only communicating with their colleagues through chat messages and video calls. People said they miss socializing with co-workers and connection that is built from sharing over lunch or during coffee breaks. In addition, many LINERs said they wanted to make better use of their free time and of the time they saved from not commuting to the office. This led to a 25% increase in new participants to the monthly 30-Day Challenge program. In the first half of 2020, about 120 people were participating each month in the program, but that grew to 164 people by September 2021. That's a rise of 36%! Along with the official implementation of LINE's *Hybrid Work system, it’s apparent that the prolonged remote work system implemented because of COVID-19 has led to a great increase in demand for the 30-Day Challenge program.*LINE Hybrid Work 1.0: A mixed work system that lets employees choose whether to work in the office or at home.When we asked for their feedback, participants in 30-Day Challenge were clear about how much they valued the program. “In the remote working era, it’s pleasant to have a common topic to talk about with colleagues every month.” (From a member of Becoming Healthier Every Month One Step At A Time)“Sharing a common goal with colleagues, though online, gives me a sense of belonging and personal motivation!” (A member of Step-by-Step Book Club)“It’s difficult to get to know colleagues outside of meetings while working at home. The 30-Day Challenge program is a good opportunity to meet colleagues outside of work.” (A member of Spend an Aromatic Day With Coffee)“I wouldn’t have been able to stick with a new habit by myself! But I could keep at it by thinking that I made a promise to my colleagues.” (A member of Becoming Usain Bolt)“It’s very pleasant to work together on a habit that can become a daily source of inspiration!” (A member of Daily Doodle) Behind the creation of the 30-Day Challenge! The 30-Day Challenge was introduced as a New Year’s project for LINERs in February 2019 (in Korea, New Year’s resolutions often start on the Lunar New Year). As a chat messaging company, the Organization Culture team pondered how to encourage employees to participate in online networking. They came up with the idea of creating mutual-encouragement groups, beginning with four area: The Live Long Project focused on taking vitamins, No Disposables encouraged the use of reusable objects instead of disposable ones to help the environment, the Upright Project was about walking 10,000 steps every day, and Create a LINE Sticker got participants to develop stickers for the LINE messenger.At first, organizers were unsure how much interest there would be in a program like this. But 66 LINERs joined in the first month, growing to 116 people the second month, as the number of groups grew from four to ten. From there, 30-Day Challenge just kept growing, becoming one of LINE’s most popular in-house networking programs by 2021.Participants made it known how much they appreciated the program: “I feel so proud, as if I finally finished some homework I had been postponing.” “I felt even more fired up and had fun by working together!” “I enjoyed the process of accomplishing my personal goals.” “What encouraged me was seeing actual results for something I had only thought about before joining." Members of the No Disposables group, using reusable objects instead of disposables People in the Create a LINE Sticker group, completing a 20-set sticker by drawing every day Some of the most popular 30-Day Challenge groups After nearly two years, we created a Hall of Fame for some of the records that had been set, like “longest ongoing habit” and “shortest time to close applications." Here are some of the habits that LINERs really love:Daily Coding is the “longest ongoing habit,” having been running since the second month of the program. It is rumored that the best gardeners at LINE are nurturing the gardens of Github every month.Tears Result in Muscle Loss is a group dedicated to working out at least three days a week. However, the passionate members didn’t stop at 3 days a week, and instead went on to achieve a 124% mission participation!The Step-by-Step Book Club aims to get members to read 15 pages every day. Not only did this group get the most participants ever, but it’s also broke recruitments records! Rumor has it that one month, this group got filled up in less than an hour.The Early Bird Project, for waking up at 7 am every day, is also one of the longest groups. Waking up early every single day requires a lot of determination for anyone, so understandably, one leader might be overwhelmed to lead several rounds in a row. Even so, there's always another member ready to take over the leadership role whenever one leader retires. This group joined the Hall of Fame for “Diligence and Persistence.” The secret of its success? LINERs are serious about their 30-Day Challenge! Over the past two years, 30-Day Challenge has been able to maintain a high participation rate every month thanks to the passion and affection of the LINERs who take part in the program. In a recent survey, 94.2% of participants said they were Satisfied or Very Satisfied with the program. Why is that? According to some of the respondents, they find it motivating to see others participating with passion and get reminded of their goals every day, they enjoy sharing information about their goals, it's easy to participate (thanks to the D-30 Bot), and it feels good to achieve your goals. “I’m glad to stick to this Challenge! Even when I forget once in a while, I get pumped seeing everyone else’s participating!” (From a member of Miracle Morning)“When I tried to drink more water by myself, I never lasted long. But 30-Day keeps reminding me, and even if I don't succeed 100% of the time, I'm still happy with my results. Sharing the process of working toward a common goal was very fun, and it encouraged me to work harder.” (A member of The Body Is Made of 1.5L of Water)“I joined on an impulse, but I learned a lot while sharing and looking for information on the topic.” (A member of Cooking 3 Meals a Day at Home)“Even finding a few hours to work on something is difficult by myself. But working together, I could go on for 30 days and even 180 days. I’ve been working on my book report project for six months now. Writing a book report every month felt very helpful. I like our group where we can share each other’s writing and recommend books to each other.” (A member of A Book Report Every Month) One thing that people say makes the 30-Day Challenge so successful is the D-30 Bot, which automatically tracks people's participation using the LINE messenger. It was created by a developer who was one of the early 30-Day participants, who came up with the idea and programmed it by themselves. Truly a "WOW" move. The D-30 Bot is now used for all the 30-Day groups, and has become a proud symbol of the program. And as the program continues, it continues to be improved and upgraded, thanks to the enthusiasm of everyone who takes part. The D-30 Bot and Participation sticker working in each habit group chat. Last, but not least, are the enthusiastic group leaders in each of the 30-Day groups. The leaders come up with programs for all to join, lead the group chats, and encourage everyone to succeed. The 30-Day Challenge wouldn’t have been possible without the group leaders! “The D-30 Bot worked so well, there wasn’t a lot I had to do as a leader. It was great to work on our goal together, something I wouldn’t have been able to achieve on my own!” (The leader of Creating a Refreshing Home Office)“It’s a good experience to continue encouraging members who are working on the same goal. When I see members continuing past a month, and when I see more new members, I feel very proud as the leader.” (The leader of Trend Clipping)“Everyone participated every day, and that felt great because it felt like I was working out with everyone.” (The leader of Walk Together and Be Healthy) A short interview with the person behind 30-Day Challenge Here’s a short interview with the person who has been with 30-Day Challenge from the beginning, helping to shape it into LINE’s major networking program. (1) What do you think was the key to the success of 30-Day Challenge?Our success came from all the leaders and members who participated in the program with such passion! The D-30 Bot was created because of that, and this has led to interesting new habits and the 30-Day culture, which I think has contributed to its success even more.(2) What do you think was the most interesting or helpful group?It’s really hard to pick out just one. I think Recharge With Sunlight Once A Day, which I participated in last year, was really good. After switching to full remote work, I was less active and was barely going outside, so I started to feel very listless. After joining this group, I began working 15 to 30 minutes around my neighborhood each day, which helped me regain my energy. Plus, I really enjoyed the autumn weather and the changing of the season. I took photos of some cool things I spotted during my walks, and I shared a music playlist that went along with the day’s mood. It was very enjoyable.(3) Is there anything you remember in particular while operating 30-Day Challenge?I don't really remember one thing as much as the pride I felt in general while watching how seriously everyone takes their commitments. The D-30 Bot is the coolest element, continually growing thanks to people's feedback, and has become the mascot of the program. Also, the members of the Create A LINE Sticker group made celebratory postcards featuring their drawings and sent them as a gift. And participants in the program have told me about how helpful 30-Day is for them, and how helpful mentally it is to share their daily lives with other people, especially during this time of COVID-19. I do hope that the culture of 30-Day Challenge will continue to grow and become a motivating force that helps LINERs in their lives and work every day! The celebratory postcards made with the drawings of the Create A LINE Sticker members LINERs' commitment to challenging themselves will continue! The 30-Day Challenge Hall of Fame is a place to learn how many of the most popular groups began. The 30-Day Challenge program contributes to the culture of LINE, keeping people passionate and motivated even outside of work. It’s also a great way for LINERs to encourage and challenge each other together. We hope that our small resolutions to better ourselves will lead to great results. The 30-Day Challenge program will keep going! ※The information presented here only applies to certain corporations and other corporations may differ.
- ICE CREAM DAY at LINE Pay Taiwan Cool down and have fun at LINE Pay’s Ice Cream Day! The employees at LINE Pay Taiwan work hard throughout the year, so we like to reward them with a range of special days and occasions, like with the Christmas Party, Spring Gala, and Family Day. But during the hot days of summer, nothing is as refreshing and fun as ice cream — which is why we came up with Ice Cream Day! On this fun day, we brought in an ice cream machine to the LINE Pay office, offering plenty of frozen fun for all our LINERs. Not only did people get to enjoy some icy refreshment, but they also got to demonstrate their creativity with their ice cream decorating, with a variety of toppings and dressings. Some people made their colorful concoctions, full of toppings, while others drew cute faces and other images on their ice creams. There are no rules on this day, and everyone can make their own masterpiece. Most importantly, this event was a great opportunity for colleagues to socialize and get to know each other better. Not only was Ice Cream Day an enjoyable diversion, it helped build connections within the company and meet more of their colleagues. We believe that creating a friendly work environment with events like this really enhances employee motivation. Ensuring that everyone feels welcome and included is what makes LINE Pay Taiwan a workplace that people truly value. ※ Please note that the details described in this article may not apply to all offices.
- LINEXPERIENCE at LINE Indonesia LINE welcomes every LINER who will be part of the success story of LINE, and we wish the very bright future that lies ahead of the new hires and LINE. Therefore, we have integration program for the new LINERs so that they will blend into LINE seamlessly. After the very first orientation on their first day, new LINERs will have the opportunity to enroll in the integration program called LINEXPERIENCE. It is an induction program for new LINERs, designed for new LINERs to have comprehensive overview of LINE business and have the opportunity to get to know other new LINERs through some team building activities. LINEXPERIENCE is conducted twice a year, in each April and September. There are 20 participants in each batch, registered by HR invitation and Lead approval. The program is a 2-day long training program, held in LINE Indonesia office. During these 2 days, all Leads at LINE Indonesia present their division and give details of the business and have some discussion session with new LINERs. In this way, new LINERs will have the broader perspective and understanding of LINE’s whole business, not only on what they’re doing at their jobs. Also, new LINERs could understand the chain effect of their job’s significance in the whole LINE’s business areas. It will give a stronger ownership to the new LINERs into LINE products and business. There are also several games and team building activities for new LINERs to learn more about LINE Style, LINE’s DNA and values. Through some games, the concepts will be learnt and embedded in some fun and engaging learning. Group missions and team building activities were also designed not only to solidify the new LINERs, but also to make them learn about the importance of team work. LINE Indonesia will continue to hold the LINEXPERIENCE program as a part of integration for new LINERs, to ease the adjustment of new LINERs into LINE’s environment. ※ Please note that the details described in this article may not apply to all offices.
- LINE TAIWAN TECHPULSE 2019 Every year since 2016, LINE has held LINE TAIWAN TECHPULSE, in order to share the development resources that are available on the LINE platform, highlighting and sharing a wide range of engineering-related topics. This event also gives an opportunity for the developer community to exchange innovative ideas and experiences, and for LINE to boost its recruitment of top technical talents. HIGHLIGHTS OF LINE TAIWAN TECHPULSE 2019 LINE as an AI Company AI was the major highlight at TECHPULSE 2019. In his opening speech, Roger Chen, Managing Director of LINE Taiwan, said that “We are actively preparing the most suitable way for implementing LINE BRAIN into Taiwan market.” LINE BRAIN is a project that integrates all of LINE’s AI technologies. At DevDay 2019 in Japan, LINE showcased how LINE AI technology is being applied to everyday life, such as how AI can be used for making restaurant reservations. LINE Taiwan CTO, Marco Chen, further introduced the LINE technology roadmap of realizing the Life on LINE vision, which connects the LINE platform & natural experience with AI Technology. To further AI technology development, LINE is focused on developing eight core technologies: Speech, NLU, Voice, Data, Video, Face, OCR, and Vision. Marco pointed out that LINE Taiwan already applies NLU, Data, and OCR to LINE SHOPPING, LINE TODAY, LINE MUSIC, LINE TRAVEL, LINE SPOT, ad targeting, sticker, and words recognition. Next up, the LINE Taiwan engineering team’s main task will be technology application in Speech, Voice and Face. Left: Managing Director of LINE Taiwan, Roger Chen; Right: LINE TAIWAN CTO, Marco Chen) LINE Platform Open Resources & Innovative Applications During the keynote speech, we focused on the core point of every developer, the coding process. In this spirit, we invited overseas experts to share the latest updates in the areas of their expertise. LINE Taiwan Technical Evangelist, Evan Lin, shared a presentation called “LINE Platform API Update.” Evan highlighted how LINE is dedicated to providing more open API functions to assist developers in closing the distance with users. Many tools were covered, such as Flex Message, Flex Message Simulator (Beta), Rich Menu Batch API, Get Usage API, Insight API and LIFF v2. Beist, lead of GrayLab Security Team at LINE, presented “How LINE Does Enterprise Security.” Beist shared how the LINE security team uses DevSecOps, which allows the team to conduct the security check along with the development flow, as a foundation for work. By utilizing DevSecOps, the LINE security team can take proactive actions in protecting data security. Putting those concepts into practice, the security team joins the service/product initial planning phase to conduct an info-security review, ensuring LINE’s security is embedded at the DNA level into every service and product. Jaewon Lee, NAVER Clova AI Chatbot AutoML, and Penny Sun, LINE Taiwan Data Engineer, together delivered “AutoML in Clova Chatbot Builder Framework.” They showcased the Clova Chatbot Builder pipeline, the technology of processing dialogue and developing effective chatbots and how to concatenate API with the LINE platform.Jihong Lee, LINE Timeline Post System, introduced the LINE recommendation mechanism. Jihong underlined the importance of user embedding, feedback loops, evaluations, model architecture, and enlarging the post pool size of recommended content and volume. At the end of the presentation, he said “Perfection is not attainable. But if we chase perfection, we can catch excellence.” Optimizing recommendation mechanisms is a continuing effort, and developers will try their best to keep re-shaping their outstanding models. Left: LINE Taiwan Technical Evangelist, Evan Lin; Right: Lead of GrayLab Security Team at LINE, Beist Left: NAVER Clova AI Chatbot AutoML, Jaewon Lee; Middle: LINE Taiwan Data Engineer, Penny Sun; Right: LINE Timeline Psot Sysment– Jihong Lee LINE PROTOSTAR & Ask LINER Connecting Taiwan enterprises and start-ups, or whoever needs to leverage the LINE Platform and technology, is always at the top of our minds. That’s why Kevin Chen, LINE Taiwan Strategy member demonstrated 10 PROTOSTAR business partners. PROTOSTAR is a program where LINE Taiwan provides free Official Accounts, platform resources, technical consultation and business guidance to accelerate start-up development on the LINE Platform. We especially treasure interactions and idea exchanges with the participants. In the venue, various interactive corners were arranged, such as “Ask LINER” stand and a dynamic photo wall, where people took photos and posted on their LINE Timeline with designated hashtags to link back to the photo wall at the entrance. All these activities helped to bring our participants closer to the event, our technology and to LINE Taiwan. SEE YOU NEXT YEAR! Stay tuned – we will be back with more innovative and exciting sharing in 2020. [Reference Posts (in Mandarin)]1. PR Release【LINE TAIWAN TECHPULSE 2019】 LINE 旗下服務全面導入人工智慧 LINE BRAIN 計畫即將開始招募台灣企業夥伴2. Engineering BlogLINE TAIWAN TECHPULSE 2019 科技盛會精彩回顧LINE TAIWAN TECHPULSE 2019 活動安排幕後秘辛 ※ Please note that the details described in this article may not apply to all offices.
- LINE Library in the Tokyo Office When you walk into LINE's offices, you'll find a micro library inside the cafeteria. The area is called "LINE Library," serving as an internal communication space where LINERs can grow together by sharing their knowledge and learning from each other through reading books. Sharing your knowledge inspires others to drive "WOW" Books lined up on the shelves are recommended by people in leadership roles at LINE or industry experts. LINE Library was designed to cultivate an office culture that inspires creative thinking among LINERs. To make the library easily accessible, it is located inside office cafeterias and allows anyone working at LINE to borrow a book for free. LINE Library at the Shinjuku headquarters. Just a step away from the cozy tatami space in the back,where people can relax and enjoy reading. Categorization based on LINE STYLE Books are displayed based on three categories chosen from the eleven elements of "LINE STYLE" You can find not only business books, but novels, comics, and more in the library. The little cards in front of each book outline why the book was recommended and insights the book might offer you for work. On the shelves, movies sponsored by LINE and LINE Manga's new titles are also available. Get inspired by someone else's scribbles As readers are allowed to underline words or scribble on pages that they think are significant, you will be reading the ideas of previous readers along the text, feeling empathy with their thoughts or ending up writing down your ideas on the same page. This is how knowledge gets spread and shared among LINERs. LINE Library—a place for driving "WOW=NO.1"—will evolve further so LINERs can take full advantage of it even while working from home! ※ Please note that the details described in this article may not apply to all offices.
- How LINE Prepares for the New Year’s Eve Rush: Employee Care Team One of the biggest nights of the year is without a doubt New Year’s Eve, as friends and families gather to count down the minutes and seconds until the old year is over and a new one begins. Here at LINE, however, all that holiday joy means a huge surge in traffic, and that’s something that has to be managed carefully. The moment the clock strikes midnight and December 31 turns into the first of January, everyone sends out a flurry of messages. Let’s take a look at how the Employee Care Team helps our developers ensure everything on LINE continues running smoothly at the big moment. Preparing for the New Year At 6 p.m. on Dec. 31, 2020, with just a few hours to go until the New Year, at the LINE office, the Employee Care (EC) Team is busy preparing nutritious dinner boxes, light refreshments, and gift bags for those developers who came to the office to prepare for the New Year’s traffic surge. But this year was a bit different from most, because of the lingering effects of the COVID-19 pandemic, and many of our developers were working from home. For those developers working remotely, the EC Team had refreshments and gift bags delivered to their homes. Notably, the LINE Developer Relations Team prepared beautiful and colorful gift bags for those developers who had to work overnight. Those bags contained a variety of vitamins as well as health juices and eye warmers, along with LINE DEV merchandise and thank-you notes! Refreshments and gift bags were delivered to developers working from home while preparing for the New Year’s day traffic surge Watch the video “[Best wishes for a happy start] Behind the scenes: The New Year’s Greetings” [Click here] Best wishes for a happy start with Employee Care! Q. What is “Best wishes for a happy start?” A. “Best wishes for a happy start” is the last service that the EC Team provides at the end of each year on December 31. We provide warm meals for the developers who work on the last night of December to prepare for the LINE messenger’s traffic surge at midnight on New Year’s Eve. It is a care service that we provide in order to comfort our developers for not being able to spend New Year’s Eve with their loved ones, featuring small gifts that they can later share with their families. We named the service “Best wishes for a happy start” to show our hope that the New Year begins smoothly and the traffic surge doesn’t cause any troubles. Refreshments, gift bags, and meal boxes prepared for the developers who came to the office to prepare for the New Year’s traffic surge on Dec. 31, 2020 Q. What is the most important part of preparing for this event? A. Up until last year, the most important thing was to help the developers feel warm and comfortable even though they were stuck in the office, so we paid extra attention to keeping the food warm when we prepared the meal boxes. This year, however, most of the developers were working from home, so instead we carefully selected some refreshments and things that the developers could share with their families. We also reviewed the delivery schedule and process very thoroughly to make sure the refreshments and gift bags arrived at their home in time. Q. You have been hosting this event for the New Year’s Day Traffic Response task force every year. Any memorable stories? A. One of the most memorable New Year’s Eves happened at the end of 2016. Like in previous years, I had to prepare the meal boxes and refreshments in the office, so I listened to the New Year’s Eve countdown bell with my team members. To celebrate the New Year, we cooked rice cake soup with the ingredients that we had prepared, and delivered the soup to the developers who were in the office. I still cannot forget how delicious that rice cake soup was. The start of a new year with warmth and care Thanks to the support provided by the LINE Employee Care Team and the Developer Relations Team, our developers who worked through the night were able to work with full bellies and hearts! To hear about LINE’s New Year’s Eve preparations from a developer’s point of view, check out our second story. [Click here] ※ Please note that the details described in this article may not apply to all offices.
With the LINE messaging app as the cornerstone, LINE's businesses encompass the development and operation of all sorts of mobile-first services—including communications, content, entertainment, and advertising—as well as new businesses like fintech, AI, and other areas. Under its corporate mission of "Closing the Distance," LINE strives to bring people around the world closer to each other, information, and services. LINE also aims to be the "life infrastructure" for more than 180 million monthly active users around the world based on the vision "Life on LINE." Working on a global basis with colleagues from many countries and markets, we are continuing to grow, helping society and blurring the line between online and offline. In March 2021, LINE completed its business integration with the Z Holdings Group, one of Japan's largest internet-related companies.